Kathy Howa taught physical education for 26 years before switching to health education for the past four years. She is currently teaching at West Jordan Middle School. A four-sport athlete in high school, she went on to play volleyball, basketball, and softball at Eastern Utah and Colorado Mesa University. Her team played in the softball College World Series in 1981-1982. The NFHS named Kathy as Utah State and Sectional Coach of the Year in 2002, was inducted into the Colorado Mesa University Hall of Fame in 2019, and the Utah Softball Hall of Fame in 2011. Kathy is in her 38th year as a coach.
- Utah High School Activities Association Distinguished Service Award, 2014
- Utah YWCA Outstanding Achievement award, 2013
- Inducted into the Utah Softball Hall of Fame as an athlete and coach, 2012
- Huntsman Cancer Foundation Super Hero, 2011
- Swing for Life Region 14 Foundation Outstanding Achievement Award for Community Service, 2005
- National Federation of State High School Associations State and Sectional Coach of the Year, 2002
- Utah High School Softball Coaches Association Coach of the Year, 2000 and 2002
Kathy was the recipient of the Middle School's 2004 Sumner Family Excellence in Teaching Award.